Thursday, June 5, 2014

A Personal Lesson on Humility

Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.  Proverbs 16:12

Pride, ugh just saying that word makes me cringe.  That is what I had though.  I can clean the house better, I can do laundry faster, I can cook better, I can get groceries, I can, I can, I can.  See a problem there? Oh my did I have a problem with it.  My husband, so gracious.  Never complained one bit, not one.  He took care of the boys (3 of them), cleaned house, did ALL the shopping, made meals, took care of me, encouraged me, prayed for me, loved me.  He was the image of humility that God was showing me.  My heart had pride and it was ugly.  That pride was rooted in fear, control, perfectionism..all not the qualities I wanted but had to face. So as bad as the knee injury was and still is, it was my heart and mind that was hurting more.  I love looking back to see how full circle God has taken me. I am a new woman.  Peeling off those layers can be painful but so fruitful.

What I had to learn is that while I was physically hurt , Jesus was healing my hurt soul. Derwin Gray, Limitless Life

As I read that sentence in Chapter 3, then read it again, and again; while nodding my head in agreement saying yes.  Finding myself doing this on line bible study with Proverbs31 is not a coincidence. Not irony, but God's way of His continuing work in me.  The doctors said, "Oh the surgery will help and it will be a quick turn around of 6 to 8 weeks back on your feet again."  Here it is now a year later and what a year it has been.  I was not prepared for what the knee surgery would have nor was anyone else, but God knew. A paralyzed leg was not what I was expecting after knee surgery.  Disability...No I call it healing.  Healing not of my leg but of my mind and heart.

 James 4:7-8, Therefore submit to God resist the devil and he will flee form you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands , you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  vs.10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up.

He is the lifter of my head.  My healer. My God.  In Him, He gets all the praise for without Him I am nothing.

P.S I believe my healing is coming, such physical progress has been made in my leg.  Things that I used to take for granite are reminders of Gods grace and goodness.

4 comments:

  1. I love to hear how God is working in your heart! I see my pride in this post also, and it's not pretty! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Chrisitina. Not a fun one to admit about yourself but glad I did.

      Delete
  2. OK I missed that sentence. Thanks for sharing that. Sometimes we are so unappreciative of those little things our husbands do. We instead look to find some little fault. I'm still a work in progress too. Debbie W. (Proverbs 31 Ministry OBS Team)

    ReplyDelete