Thursday, January 22, 2015

#Freedom, what does it mean to you? (Updated)

Last night I was part of a small group where the question was asked, "What does Freedom mean to you?

We had to introduce ourselves and then state our answer to the question.  Immediately the word "Redemption" kept going over and over in my mind.  The others who were speaking prior to my turn were giving more specific reasons as to what freedom meant to them personally. I kept trying to come up with a sentence as well but couldn't get passed the word redemption.  I knew the Holy Spirit was giving me the word, I could sense it in my spirit.   So, it got to my turn and I said, " My name is Angie Diemer and the word that popped in my head is, Redemption."  The leader made kind of an intrigued face. The enemy saw that as an opportunity to make me doubt and feel like an idiot.  I kept trying to shake it off throughout the class, saying in my mind I am redeemed because of Jesus.  But, honestly it was still bugging me. I wrote on my notes, "why am I in this class Lord?"  Silence.

I came home and told my husband what I had said.  His response was "huh, that's interesting"...   My husband always helps me look at things in a different way and I love that about him.  The teacher in him asked, In what context are you using that in.   I didn't want to explain what context, I was hoping for him to just say that is a great answer.  Affirm me please, LOL. That wasn't fair of me to do and then the enemy flipped it and tried to mess with me.  It was bugging me all night why in the world did that single word come to my mind. The enemy tried to swoop in and attempt to make me feel insecure afterwards. I kept saying God we talk all the time.  You show me things I can't even describe.  I know your voice, but I feel kinda silly right now.

Later that night, I tried going to sleep.  I was tossing around in my bed and the enemy said you can't even define the word redemption...But, I knew the bible said I am redeemed.  Anytime I feel a word from God I always go to the Bible for confirmation.  So, I threw the covers over my head so the blinding light of my phone wouldn't wake up my husband and "Googled" the word redemption biblical... I was going to highlight the points I found but want to list it below.  The information below is not my own, but from the website gotquestions.com.

following information found on gotquestions.org
http://www.gotquestions.org/redemption.html

Question: "What is the meaning of Christian redemption?"

Answer:
Everyone is in need of redemption. Our natural condition was characterized by guilt: “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). Christ’s redemption has freed us from guilt, being “justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus” (Romans 3:24).

The benefits of redemption include eternal life (Revelation 5:9-10), forgiveness of sins (Ephesians 1:7), righteousness (Romans 5:17), freedom from the law’s curse (Galatians 3:13), adoption into God’s family (Galatians 4:5), deliverance from sin’s bondage (Titus 2:14;1 Peter 1:14-18), peace with God (Colossians 1:18-20), and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19-20). To be redeemed, then, is to be forgiven, holy, justified, free, adopted, and reconciled. See alsoPsalm 130:7-8;Luke 2:38; andActs 20:28.

The word redeem means “to buy out.” The term was used specifically in reference to the purchase of a slave’s freedom. The application of this term to Christ’s death on the cross is quite telling. If we are “redeemed,” then our prior condition was one of slavery. God has purchased our freedom, and we are no longer in bondage to sin or to the Old Testament law. This metaphorical use of “redemption” is the teaching ofGalatians 3:13and4:5.

Related to the Christian concept of redemption is the word ransom. Jesus paid the price for our release from sin and its consequences (Matthew 20:28;1 Timothy 2:6). His death was in exchange for our life. In fact, Scripture is quite clear that redemption is only possible “through His blood,” that is, by His death (Colossians 1:14).

The streets of heaven will be filled with former captives who, through no merit of their own, find themselves redeemed, forgiven, and free. Slaves to sin have become saints. No wonder we will sing a new song—a song of praise to the Redeemer who was slain (Revelation 5:9). We were slaves to sin, condemned to eternal separation from God. Jesus paid the price to redeem us, resulting in our freedom from slavery to sin and our rescue from the eternal consequences of that sin.

I was able to say, ok that makes total sense why I said Redemption because that is how I feel.  I am redeemed! I didn't need to give a full sentence or long description because the place I am at now in my walk is knowing and believing I am Redeemed.   Through a recent storm God had catapulted my walk with Him. It's exciting to see where I was at, where I am now.  Restored and Redeemed!!! He has amazing things in my future.  I hear Him, I know it because He is my everything!

If you are seeking freedom from anything, I pray you ask Immanuel...How do you want me to define freedom?  Listen to what he says and always back it up with the word of God.  If you are seeking He will always respond.

Be encouraged in the word of God because in Him, there is Freedom!




No comments:

Post a Comment